Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Not So Little Anymore

Today is Emma's twelfth birthday. Holy cow...when did she grow up? It seems like yesterday I was in labor in the middle of the Super Bowl :) Sunday was her last week officially in Primary and tomorrow will be her first night going to Young Women's. Crazy stuff.

Last Friday we let her have a party at our home to celebrate her big day. She invited a gaggle of girls to come join the fun and our home was very loud and giggly for about 4 hours. I admit, my head kind of hurt during part of it. I am getting old. Emma, however, had a great time.

They watched a movie, ate lots of Carmel corn, played games, ate cake and ice cream and ended the evening with a vigorous game of Hide & Seek in the dark. That was the funnest part for me. We turned off all the lights in the house with the exception of the light on the hood of the stove and told the girls to go hide. The person that was "it" was armed with a flashlight. Only three places were off limits: My bedroom, the storage room and the garage. These girls were funny! I had gals hiding in the pantry (telling me how good it smelled...evidently it smells like sugar in my pantry), under the kitchen table, in Josh's room and I even helped hoist Emma up on top of my kitchen cabinets. Good thing she is tiny! And... nobody found her :) It was funny watching the person that was "it" walk into the kitchen, talk to me, look around and still not see her. I was standing directly below her! It was hard to keep a straight face :)

Greg thought I was nuts letting them run wild in the house and a few years ago, I may have agreed. However, time has mellowed me and I have realized that these are the kind of things that make memories and that is what is really important. Nobody got hurt, nothing was damaged and everyone had a great time. Success. Besides...you only get one twelfth birthday party.

2 comments:

CaryManda said...

What a FUN mom!!
I love your zany adventures!
lunch soon, yes?!

Marja Liisa said...

She is growing up so fast!!! Sounds like the party was fun. Can you host my boys parties?