Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Am Sad

Today it was announced that the head coach for the Utah Jazz is retiring. I have loved watching Jerry Sloan over the years am I am sad that this era is coming to an end.

I began watching the Jazz when my children were little. Christopher and I spent many a night watching the games together. Karl Malone and John Stockton were our heros...well, at least two of them. I was also sad when both of them individually announced their retirements. It just seems like basketball is not what it used to be. Too many egos and way too much money changing hands now. Kind of sad really.

People like Jerry are gone. He loved the game and you could tell each night that he was court-side with his team. I will miss watching him get T-ed up by the officials. I will miss seeing him fly off the bench in a fit of passion. I will miss watching that look on his face when he was in complete astonishment of a foul not called or of one that should not have been called.

I know that the Jazz will go one, but a part of my heart will always be with the boys of the "old school". Best wishes to Jerry. He is one of the good guys.