Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Carl Bloch Exhibit

Breathtaking. That is the only word I can think of to adequately describe the Carl Bloch Art Exhibit at BYU right now.

Last night I attended this event with Emma and her Young Women's group and let me just say that I walked away stunned. This is probably the best art exhibit I have ever seen. Okay, maybe it does not quite beat the 40 Rembrandt etchings I once saw, all in the same room, but it is right up there.

Some of the paintings were so magnificent that it appeared as if some of the figures could walk right off the canvas and stand next to you. The pictures posted below do not even come close to doing justice to these wonderful pieces of art.

As we walked in there was a quote on the wall in vinyl lettering that said "He dipped his paintbrush in his heart" (referring to Carl Bloch). As soon as I turned away from this and looked to the right I was confronted with a painting that absolutely took my breath away. I instantly understood the quote. The painting was immense. Probably at least 16 feet by 14 feet. I felt as if I was part of this masterpiece. It was magical.

All I can say is if you had not had the chance to see this exhibit, go. As soon as possible. Then go again. I am planning to go back and just sit and enjoy it without the distraction that sometimes comes from a twelve year old girl. Love ya Emma, but I want to just sit in that gallery and soak it all in. Kind of selfish, but I know I will not have the chance to see something like this for a very long time, if ever.
Emma and Jaime outside the gallery on campus.
The painting above was my favorite from the exhibit. There were actually a few studies of this on display. One drawing and a smaller painting as well as a large alter piece. I loved the symbolism. This picture actually leaves out some of the details that can only be seen in person. In the foreground of the original are some white flowers growing off to the left side. Powerful message. Loved it!
There were also some non-religious etchings and paintings as well. Equally incredible.
Emma loved this one. When you see this in person you feel as if the Savior is about to take a step forward and come right up to you. I loved this one also.

No comments: