Friday, February 18, 2011

What I Found On My Walk Today

Today I went for a walk. It feels great to be outside again walking in the fresh air. I walked past the temple and was heading down the hill past a vacant lot that was over grown with trees and bushes. As I was walking past the empty lot, I happened to look over and spotted a deer. It was looking me right in the eye and just sat there. I kept walking and smiled to myself. What a great sight! I was thinking to myself "What a gift to see something like that in the middle of a busy neighborhood."

I walked about 30 more feet and looked over at the lot one more time. What I saw this time stopped me in my tracks. It was more deer. Not just one or even two more, but SIX MORE. I stayed put for a while and just watched them. All but one was laying on the ground and calmly looking at me. They were all Does...at least I could not see a Buck among them anywhere. Maybe he was lurking somewhere close by.

As I stood there enjoying this wonderful sight, I began to notice other things around me. I saw one person on a bike ride past. Another person jogged by with ear plugs in her ears. Numerous cars zipping past and not one of these people had a clue what was in the trees just mere feet away. What a shame. Such beauty and grace right in the middle of the madness and nobody noticed.

I wonder how many times I have walked past this very spot and not seen anything either. Sad really. As I finally resumed my walk I thought about this. I realized that I need to open my eyes and learn to look for the beauty and tender mercies around me. Little reminders of my Father in Heaven and all that He has created.

2 comments:

CaryManda said...

As do I.
I think all too often we're caught up in our daily hustle and bustle and by the end of the day we're drained.
Maybe I'm just speaking for me?
I need to enjoy the simplicity of things more.
Thanks for the reminder.:)

Marja Liisa said...

I love it when that happens! I think of it as a good luck Oman meant just for me!