Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day and as I thought about it, I realized that I have never really posted anything significant about my mom on my blog. Until now.

My mom is the best. How thankful I am that I was sent to be her daughter. She was born in Longview, Washington and grew up in a small community near Cathlament, Washington. She is the second of four daughters and had the privilege of growing up on a dairy farm. She taught me from a young age who I am and how I fit into this great, big, scary world. How much I appreciate her testimony of the gospel! What an amazing example she has been to me.

When I was in elementary school, my mom was the lady who worked in the school office. I remember going over to the school with her occasionally on weekends to finish up some work. I recall one time in particular. We were getting ready to leave the office when she remembered that she needed some paper clips at home. She reached into a drawer and pulled out a couple of them. She then placed a small amount of change in the petty cash to cover the cost of the paper clips that she took. Such a small gesture, but what a powerful lesson I observed that day. She could have easily just taken the paper clips and no one would have ever known. But that was not my mom. She is a woman of deep integrity and the idea of just taking them would never have crossed her mind. Talk about "small and simple things". I will never forget that experience. Powerful stuff.

She is also a woman who looks to the Lord for direction. In a world where everyone is confused and so many people don't know who they are, she does. How grateful I am for a mother who is steadfast in the gospel. She has been my North Star more times than I care to count. Whenever I am upset and don't know what to do, what a blessing it is to know that I can just call her and be pointed onto the correct path.

Another experience I recall was when I was about 8 years old. Dayna had a little stuffed animal named "Pinky". Dayna and I determined that Pinky was pregnant...not sure how that came about :) When we announced to our mom that we wanted to have a baby shower for our stuffed animal, she did not even bat an eye. She even helped us make invitations and deliver them as well as helping us make a cake to serve. Now, how many moms would have just shook their heads and not even thought about seeing this through? Not my mom. She made sure we had a great baby shower. Pretty cool.

Now, I could go on and on about things that my mom has done for me, but I guess the most important thing to realize is that I love her very much. How grateful I am for a mother who continues to be a great example to me and my children. How lucky each of them are to know her and partake of her testimony. I love you mom! Happy Mother's Day :)

1 comment:

Melānija said...

Nice to hear something like this!:)