Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Painting Again

This is my favorite picture of my dad. I guess it is probably because he is doing what I remember him doing most of my life..producing art.

I remember as a little girl going to visit him at Clatsop Community College down the stairs to the old Art Department. I remember the smell; paint mingled with cement floors. MMMMM...what a wonderful smell. I loved that smell. A few days ago I pulled out my watercolors and began to paint for the first time in many, many years. As I was preparing my paint pallet, I opened up a tube of paint and immediately I remembered that smell. Isn't it funny how a smell can take you back to a place and time?

My dad has been helping me begin my watercoloring again and I we have been having a great time. I had forgotten so many techniques it is sad. However, I am happy to report that I am a quick study and it is quickly returning. Right now I am working on a painting of an old building I saw in Kamas on the way home from a family outing. It is developing and I like it. I told my dad that if it does not turn out, I am going to paint and repaint it until I am satisfied.

What a great memory I will have someday of my dad giving me these "remedial art lessons" - ha! Even though this experience has had it's difficult moments, the good ones like this, seem to make it all worth while.

1 comment:

CaryManda said...

love this! love that you are making these memories with your darling daddy. :) Cherish this time, my friend! I know you do!
Can't wait to see you!
Love ya!