Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanks

Today is Thanksgiving. How grateful I am for a day to remember to say "thanks". I was having a conversation with a friend recently about the holiday season. She mentioned that she wished that Thanksgiving would just go away and that we could dive right into Christmas. This made me a bit sad. How many people really feel that way? What a tragedy. Have we really become so busy that it does not seem important to say "Thank you" and acknowledge all that our creator has provided for us?

I read a great quote today on a friend's blog by George Washington (Thank you Rachel):

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor...Now, therefore, I do appoint Thursday, the 26th day of November 1789... that we may all unite to
render unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection.


I hope that my Heavenly Father knows all that I am grateful for: My Savior, my family, my friends, my home...everything. As I was standing in line shopping for food for our family's Thanksgiving feast, I got a little teary eyed. I began to think of all the food that He provides for each of us. How lucky we are that we can fill our carts with anything that we desire. I am sure many people in the world do not share this luxury. Rather humbling when you think about it. I pray that I never take anything in this life for granted and that I never forget to tell my creator and all those who impact my life as well as my family's life - "Thanks".

No comments: