Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meet The "Nightmares"

Yesterday Emma had another steller soccer game. She scored 4 goals for her team in a game that they eventually won, 5-1. She has been playing with this team for about 3 years now and they have really developed into something fun to watch. They had to choose a name for the team and they chose to call themselves "Your Worst Nightmare"...pretty funny. You should see the look on the opposing teams faces when they ask what their team is called. Priceless.

They have an amazing coach, Aryl who possesses enormous amounts of patience with these chatty gals. It is fun just to sit and watch him do his magic during the game. He is GREAT. This year they have continued their winning streak and are undefeated. He is certainly doing something right.

Emma has really developed into a great little player. Yeah...I know...I am her mom, but seriously - she is REALLY good. I have watched her on numerous occasions take the ball from an opponent while on the far end of the field and dribble it down the entire field, splitting defenders and leaving a battlefield of bodies in her shadows as she races madly towards the goal. And just when you think she is going to be completely selfish and shoot, she passes it to the middle for an assist. Beautiful.

Her teammates are pretty great in their own rite. All of them are unselfish and work together throughout the entire game. I am not sure how Aryl has done it, but he has made this little group of girls a cohesive group. I hope that they continue to play together for many years to come.

One of the most entertaining parts of the game is at the end, after they congratulate the opposing team. Emma's team forms a circle and all together they shout this chant...

YOU MIGHT BE GOOD AT BASKETBALL
YOU MIGHT BE GOOD AT TRACK
BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SOCCER...
YOU BETTER STEP ON BACK
ON BACK
ON BACK

I keep forgetting to take my camera with me to record this little diddy. Hopefully next week I will remember so that I can post it.

(Emma is 5th from the left in the team picture above)

1 comment:

Marja Liisa said...

She is a very good player!!! I sit and watch her at recess and I am amazed at what a talent she does have. I love the team name...it is very clever.