Monday, May 9, 2011

Tara & Tulips

Yesterday was Tara's 20th birthday and I have searched the past couple of days for a picture of her on the SLC temple grounds when she was around 2 years old. I can't find it. I am bummed. I hope that I just put it somewhere for safe keeping. Anyway...I wanted to post a picture with this story in honor of her birthday. Oh well, it is still a good story.

When Tara was two years old we lived next to the nicest lady, Sister Lee. Her hubby was the bishop in our ward and they were just a neat older couple. When Tara was small, she LOVED anything girly or pretty. You know, like flowers. Tulips. Bright red tulips. Sister Lee had the most beautiful flower beds in her front yard stuffed with the most amazing tulips.

One morning the kids went out the to yard to play. I was watching them through the window as I completed my morning chores. I could not always see what they were up to, but I thought I had them all accounted for. After a few minutes, Tara came in the front door with a large (giant) bouquet of beautiful tulips. Yep, she had picked Sister Lee's tulips...every. single. one. Yikes! My heart hit the floor when I saw that bright red bouquet for I instantly knew where my sweet little girl had been. I explained to her that while Sister Lee's flowers were indeed beautiful, we were not supposed to pick them because they were not ours. I then took Tara by the hand and we slowly marched up to Sister Lee's front door to confess her transgression.

Sweet Sister Lee. I will never forget the look on her face when she discovered that the tulips Tara was holding were indeed from her garden. I can only imagine the pain and distraught feelings that filled her heart, but she put on a brave face and told Tara is was okay and that she was proud of her for telling the truth. She never once scolded her or even acted disappointed in the least. She was amazing.

We now laugh about this experience. Yet Sister Lee taught me (and hopefully Tara) a great lesson that day. She showed us what was really important. Thanks Sister Lee. And Happy Birthday Tara :) Next time you come to visit, don't pick my tulips!