Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Gift

Today Greg gave me the best Mother's Day gift ever. He had to work this morning and when he got home he told me that he was starving. I asked him why and he then proceeded to tell me that he had purchased a lunch at his work (they have a full-time chef staffed and amazing food for cheap available to all the employees) and had every intention of eating it. He went outside and was heading for his car (he likes to get away from the building and think during lunch time) when he noticed a homeless man carrying a duffle bag along the road. He told me that he walked over to him and asked if he was hungry and the gentlemen said "Yes". Greg then gave him his lunch, knowing that he would not eat until he came home. What a great guy.

And if that was not enough, there is more. This afternoon I had to run some errands and Greg came with me. We were bagging our groceries in WinnCo when we noticed a lady in the line beside us that was disabled and obviously struggling trying to bag her food. Greg offered to help her and then proceeded to go to her car and load her bags for her. The lady was so sweet and kept saying over and over again, "Thank-You".

Melt my heart. This is the stuff that life is made of...helping others. No wonder President Monson has asked each of us to do some small act of service in celebration of his birthday each year. Flowers die, candy gets eaten but these small acts live in the hearts of those they touch. The best part is that it does not cost a penny...just time and a willing heart. Thanks Greg for making this Mother's Day a memorable one.

1 comment:

Marja Liisa said...

What a great post!!! I was tearing up as I read it...a very good reminder of what we should be doing!