Thursday, September 9, 2010

Running Away & Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today I made chocolate chip cookies for Emma and Josh to have as a snack after school. As I was making them I remembered a story that happened years ago when Christopher was about 8 years old. It made me smile and I wanted to make sure that I somehow recorded it for his children to read one day.

Christopher was upset with me one day for something...I honestly can't remember what the problem was, but I do know that he was not a happy camper. He decided to run away. I helped him pack and told him that I would miss him very much, but if this is what he needed to do to be happy, then by all means go. I think that surprised him a bit, but it did not stop him from packing.

As he was leaving it began to rain. Poor little dude. I watched him walk across the street and go to a common area and set up camp under a picnic table...in full view of my kitchen window. As the minutes ticked by he slowly moved his little "camp" closer to the house. He eventually ended up in the back yard under the porch of the walk out basement. He was still too stubborn to come inside. I then had a brilliant idea. I went and opened all the windows of the house and began to make chocolate chip cookies. I have no doubt that the aroma was killing him. It did not take long for him to come inside and announce that he was back home and he also inquired if he may have a cookie.

To this day he swears that it was not the cookies that lured him back, but that he missed us and wanted to come home. Okay Christopher...seriously? It had not even been one hour. If that is your story...by all means stick to it :) I guess it does not really matter anymore, yet every time I bake chocolate chip cookies I still think of you. How glad I am that you found your way home.

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Good Story! One day many years ago Amanda announced she was running away from home, after she finished packing she asked me to take her to her grandma's. I replied, "If you are running away, shouldn't you find your own way there."