Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Change of Plans


Next week I will be in Boise again. I had planned on sitting on the river front in Astoria, Oregon with my mom and Aunt Karen, but I guess it was just not meant to be. I am a little sad. Especially after talking to my dad today and finding out that it was 70 degrees and clear blue skies there today. Perfect weather for Astoria. Nothing sounds better than just sitting on a river bank and watching ships go by and listening to their wonderful fog horns at night. I hope there are fog horns in heaven. I love that sound.

My mom hurt her back a couple of days ago and fractured a vertebrae and needs to have it repaired. So...instead of having a fun, family history trip to the northwest with her, I am heading to Boise to take care of her. Sure, it will still be fun. We will still visit and laugh and have a great time, but it is not Astoria. She is sad too. I feel bad for her. I guess it was just not meant to be. I think she feels the same way about the northwest and misses it too. There is just something about it that pulls at our hearts. I don't think that will ever change.

For some reason I love this old town. I have a lot of ancestors that are buried in that area and a lot of family history. My grandmother was born in Astoria. My great grandfather was a gill net fisherman on the Columbia River. My grandpa was raised not far from Astoria. It is just home to me. Always has been, always will be. If I could travel anywhere in the world, that is where I would go. Hands down. No hesitation. To me, it is heaven.

No comments: