Friday, June 4, 2010

Downsizing

This past year our family has certainly seen many changes. As I was thinking about everything that has transpired in the past twelve months, I began to try to think of all the little changes I am seeing around my home due in a large part because of these experiences. I have come to accept that many things in my life, with the exception of family members, are now downsized.

Here is my list of things that have become smaller over the course of twelve months:

1. Food - This has been really hard for me. For the past 2o plus years I have pretty much been cooking for an army sized family. I never had to worry about having leftovers and certainly never looked at an expiration date when purchasing food. I now find myself freezing 1/2 a meal to have at a later date. THAT is something new.

2. Table Size - One night after Christopher and Samantha married, Greg, Josh, Emma and myself were sitting around the table eating dinner. Suddenly I realized that this table is far too big and we were not sitting even close to each other anymore. The next day I had Josh help me remove the two leaves from the table. Those leaves have been in that table since the day we purchased it. Our table looks very tiny now and it seems very strange. I am slowly getting used to it.

3. Stress Level - I cannot believe how much more relaxed I feel. I guess having three children gone from your home will do that for you. We still have Josh and Emma, but let me just say that those two are a snap. Life is soooo calm. It is wonderful. I remember having Christopher and Jenni and thinking that two children were hard - ha! I guess having FIVE put that into perspective.

4. Laundry - I used to spend each day doing at least 2-3 loads of laundry. Now I can do laundry twice a week and be done in a matter of hours. AHHHHHH. I love it! I have never really minded doing the washing and even the folding of laundry. But for some strange reason, putting it away has always been a trial. Now it is a breeze.

5. Traffic Running Through House - This is the first time in about 18 years that I have not had groups of children running through my home at all hours. Sure, we still have kids over, but it is nothing like it was before. My home actually stays clean now...What a novel idea. I used to vacuum everyday, now maybe twice a week.

6. Seats in Sacrament Meeting - This has been kind of hard for me too. I realized a couple of weeks ago that our family can now sit in the smaller side seats in the chapel. WEIRD. We used to take up almost an entire big row...now only a side seat? And while I know that we should probably sit on the sides to save space, I can't do it. Sorry...I still need a big bench. Maybe someday I can downsize that one, but not anytime soon. In the meantime, we are happy to share, but don't ask us to change our spot :)

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I have the same problem with laundry - I don't mind washing or folding it's the putting away! I have 2 baskets needing to be put away right now, so thanks for the reminder...and more on the floor in my bedroom that have been there, um, for too long...It probably doesn't get any easier when kids should be old enough to do it themselves either. Oh well, at least we don't have to wash it all by hand!