Saturday, November 26, 2011

Our Turkey Day

We had Thanksgiving this year at my brother, Mark's home. It was a nice, relaxing day. Lezlie and I decided that we did not want any pressure and made a simple, traditional dinner. Turkey (38 total lbs...that was Mark's idea so that we could have a lot of leftovers), stuffing, mashed potatoes gravy, sweet potatoes souffle, vegies, rolls and lots of pies...Perfect.

The day began with Christopher showing up at 8:30am ready to play in the traditional "Turkey Bowl" that occurs across the street from our home at the park. Every year Christopher's friends and former YM leaders show up to play. It is fun to watch and see everyone. They ended up playing 2 1/2 hours...holy cow.

We then loaded up the car and headed out on our 1 1/2 block trek to Marks. We did not worry too much about accommodating every one's schedule this year. Dinner was set for 2pm and if you could make it fine, if not, fine too. We also announced that pie would be served at 4pm for anyone that wanted to come just for that. Tara, Austin, Jenni, Cordell, Kortney and Chase all came just for dessert. After dessert we sat around the table and visited for a really long time. It was once again, perfect.

To finish off the day, three of my five children ended up at the Black Friday sales. Silly kids. What were they thinking? I tried to warn them, but they all wanted the deals. Whatever. Josh went to the Cedar Hills Walmart and came home swearing that he would never do that again (told you so, Josh...), Christopher and Sam went to Walmart in AF (were able to get everything they were after in the midst of pandemonium) and Emma went with Casey and her dad to Target. She ended up spending the night at Casey's and told me the next day that she went to bed at 3 am, but it was worth it because she got what she was after. A curling iron. Haha...I would never do that for just a curling iron. Can I say it again???? Silly kids...

I, meanwhile, sat in my warm home and watched a Harry Potter marathon in my pj's with Greg snoring right beside me. I still have not been to any of the stores and have no desire whatsoever to go anytime in the near future...

No comments: