Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Steele Days '10

Our family lives in a city that has a yearly celebration called "Steele Days". I think it is derived from all the steel workers that used to live in the area many years ago. American Fork is a great little town and we have come to love it here. It is not the south and it is definitely not Oregon, but it is the next good thing.

I love how this celebration is so old school. It really has that old "Americana" feel to it. On Saturday Emma, Jenni and I went to watch the parade downtown. Marja invited us to come with her family and we had a great, relaxing time watching all the floats go by. Marja's family has been doing this for years and has a favorite spot just down the street from where she grew up. Her dad even had chairs set up in the shade for us older gals. Emma, Braige and Brogan sat right up on the curb catching all the candy that was thrown their way. I even scored a free car wash!

Later that evening Emma, Jenni, Josh and I went up to the high school where they were showing an outdoor movie and then having fireworks after. Josh quickly left with his friends and that was fine. We had a large blanket that we spread out and we all just laid down to watch the show. Jenni's good friend, Debra, joined us too. Before the show they had a small carnival that catered to the kids. Lots of face painting, rides and food. It was great.

They finally began the fireworks around 10:30 pm. There is nothing like fireworks in the summer in Utah. I love everything about it. The smell, the sound and the visual display. Awesome. We must have been sitting fairly close to where they were lighting them off because on more than one occasion I could actually feel the earth beneath me shudder. Sweet. The display lasted about 20 minutes...not too shabby for a little place like AF.

I later learned that Josh had returned home before the fireworks with a group of friends. Evidently they watched from the roof of our garage. Ha! Greg was in bed snoozing and had no idea that a gaggle of teenagers was lurking about our rooftop. Funny stuff. Josh told me that they had a great view. Maybe next year I will have to hoist myself up there and see for myself.

No comments: