Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Spirit

I have been having a difficult time this holiday season feeling the Christmas spirit. I am not sure what the deal is. I have been listening to Christmas music, watching Christmas movies, reading quotes and scriptures that pertain to Christmas and my all time favorite (usually) setting up my beloved nativity that my father made almost 45 years ago. I have just been struggling a bit. It just seems like Christmas was lacking something this year-it felt hallow.

These past few days I have been extremely grumpy and I don't like it. I can't really tell you why...I am just grumpy. All I could really think about is that I want this holiday to be over with so that Spring can be on it's way. Usually I love the winter months...but not this year. I usually love the snow and watching the kids sled on the hill across the street at the park. I usually love the hot chocolate and curling up with a blanket and a book. I usually love the dark days and the feeling of "nesting" at home. Not this year. I just want warmth and tulips. However, that changed this morning...

I went to church today and as I sat down I realized that it was the Christmas program. Our ward choir had obviously taken hours preparing for this day and as soon as the first song of the program was sung, my heart melted and I felt that lump in my throat that I had been lacking. The song was one of my favorites..."Away in A Manger" and it was not only sung beautifully, but the accompaniment of violins, organ, flute and piano pierced my soul. It finally brought the Christmas spirit I had been searching for. It was true beauty. I became teary eyed thinking of the humble circumstances of our Savior's birth and how much He had sacrificed because He loved each of us so much. The program ended with another of my favorite Christmas hymns..."Silent Night". As I listened to the words it seemed to put everything once again into perspective. "Silent night, Holy night, all is calm, all is bright...sleep in heavenly peace". Isn't music wonderful? Sometimes it can speak to you like nothing else can. What a blessing to have this gift in our lives. It made me remember that feeling of warmth and love that should be what the season is all about.

If anyone in the choir happens to read this post, I just want to say a big "Thank you!" You made me feel that wonderful spirit. Merry Christmas!!!

3 comments:

Marja Liisa said...

I felt the same way. It was a great program. Music always puts me in the Christmas mood.

Johnson Family said...

It was such a great program. I could not even sing when Silent Night started.

CaryManda said...

Music is such an amazing way to feel the Spirit!
Love you Dawna Mae!
Glad you're not the grinch anymore. :)