Thursday, January 15, 2009

Why I Love Art

I have always loved art. I have many times tried to get my children to have the same kind of appreciation for art that I do, but I think that I may have failed. I remember one time Greg and I decided for Family Home Evening we would take the kids down to BYU to see an art exhibit. We got to the exhibit hall only to find out that it was some kind of expressive art display...and it was VERY strange to say the least. I think that left a sour taste for art in each of my children's mouth and they often tease me when they remember that experience. I hear taunting such as "Remember that time Mom tried to make us appreciate art..." and then they proceed to talk about all the negative things from that experience. Yeah, yeah, yeah...well I still love going to art exhibits. My Dad instilled this love I have for it due in a large part because he was an artist and art teacher.

When I was a child, we were not allowed to have coloring books. I remember having all the blank white paper I wanted, but no coloring books. I think that something is to be said for that because all four of us children have some kind of talent for art. However, my Dad is the only one that was able to make a living with it. He spends numerous hours, even years working on his bronzes. The one above is of the race called Peking to Paris that happened on 1909. It is really an amazing piece. Below is one of my favorite bronzes. It is called "Cattail Escape". I think that I love it so much because it reminds me of all the deer I would see in the large field just outside our picture window in the old farmhouse.

Just below is a watercolor. This one is called "Forgotten Lilacs" and is actually the home that my Dad was born in Waverly, Iowa. This is also one of my favorite watercolors that he has done. I have a copy of this print in my front room so that I can see it everyday. I love it.
Maybe sometime my kids will appreciate art. I am not sure when, but I hope that it is soon or they may someday realize that they missed something wonderful.

5 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Your dad does wonderful work.

CaryManda said...

Your dad is so talented! I love the watercolor! I really like the idea of blank paper instead of coloring books. I think I may be heading to the store for some!

OUR CHAOTIC CLAN said...

All the years we've been friends I had no idea your Dad was an artist. How wonderful! I'm with Amanda in agreeing with your Dad on the blank paper idea. Fantastic idea! I love his work, WOW!! You are so lucky!!

Kris said...

I remember seeing those at your Dad's house when we were up there last. He is so talented. I especially liked the Peking one. I wish I could do something like that myself. If I had alot of money I would surely buy one because they are so neat.

Elyse said...

Someday they will appreciate it more. I love art too... and Brandt gives me the same reaction as your kids lol :) I guess it's just one of those things either you have it or you don't.
And Roy definitely has it! He's very talented. I love his watercolor... I've never seen that one before