Wednesday, January 11, 2012

He Will Comfort You

"Mortality is a period of testing, a time to prove ourselves worthy to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father. In order to be tested, we must sometimes face challenges and difficulties. At times there appears to be no light at the tunnel's end-no dawn to break the night's darkness. We feel surrounded by the pain of broken hearts, the disappointment of shattered dreams, and the despair of vanished hopes. We join in uttering the biblical plea "Is there no balm in Gilead?" We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone. If you find yourself in such a situation, I plead with you to turn to our Heavenly Father in faith. He will lift you and guide you. He will not always take your afflictions from you, but He will comfort and lead you with love through whatever storm you face."
--Thomas S. Monson, "Looking Back and Moving Forward", Ensign, May 2008, 87–90



I have had a lot of things hit lately that seem to be knocking me down slowly, blow by blow. I have tried to stay strong and not let them bother me but that changed this morning when my washer started leaking water everywhere. I know it seems small, but it was just enough to push me over the edge. After getting the situation under control, I sat down in defeat and cried and cried and cried. I needed some words of encouragement and after some searching, found this quote.

"...He will not always take your afflictions from you, but He will comfort and lead you with love through whatever storm you face..."

Exactly what I needed to hear. I also took a few minutes to call my mom and cry on her shoulder. She is a great listener and gave me some words of encouragement as well. And while I am grateful for my trials that have been tailored just for me, it still feels good to hear the simple words of reassurance that "He will comfort you..."

No comments: