Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Great Day

Yesterday I had the opportunity to listen to Sister Julie Beck, General President of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. What a remarkable woman. She had been invited to speak to our stake as well as 5 other stakes.

I arrived at the tabernacle about an hour and half early to have a good seat so that I could be up close and listen without distractions. I did not say a word to anyone around me. I just sat and read and listened. It was great. I really felt some inspiration as I studied and took notes on the things that I was reading while waiting for the meeting to begin.

It soon became time for the opening song and it was announced that we would be singing "There Is Sunshine In My Soul"...one of my mother's favorite hymns. I instantly could picture her in my mind singing this song. I found myself holding back tears as I thought of the righteous influence she has had in my life.

Sister Beck then spoke to us about the influence mothers have on their children. I think one of my favorite things that Sister Beck said is that "The little things we do to build the world are really big things". At another point of the meeting she began to talk about Visiting Teaching and how some people have "issues" that tend to get in the way of completing their responsibility. She then said something very profound - "The Lord doesn't care about your issues. He cares about His children." She then counseled those individuals who struggle with visiting teaching to get on their knees and figure out their issues and go take care of His sheep.

I walked away from that tabernacle feeling that my cup had been filled. It was a great way to start my day. And then, thinking that there was not way it could possibly get better...it did...BYU won their basketball game against Gonzaga (and John Stockton's son - ha!) and propelled themselves into the Sweet Sixteen tournament for the first time in thirty years. Can you say "Go Jimmer"???

1 comment:

CaryManda said...

Love that line
"...He doesn't care about your issues. He cares about his children."

maybe we should cross stitch that on a pillow. ;)