Sunday, March 21, 2010

Traveling Show

Last week all of the fifth grade classes at Emma's school performed their annual "Traveling Show". In the years past, this show traveled around the area performing their production. However, in recent years they now just show it to their school and parents. The show recaps a study unit of United States history. I have to admit that I was not really looking forward to attending this event. I guess I am just schooled out when it comes to these performances...five children will do that to you! But after attending this production, I have repented. I was rather pleasantly surprised.

Their program was very patriotic and made me proud that my children attended this school. They sang and danced to a large selection of patriotic songs. Emma had one of the few speaking parts and did a great job. I was very impressed with the values they were focused on. At the end of the program they sang a tribute to all the divisions of the military...army, navy, air force and marines. While they sang the songs they asked members of the audience to please stand if they had served in that branch of the military or had family members that had served or were serving. That site really got me. I saw people from all stages of life stand...grandmas and grandpas, widows and young men. It made me think of my ancestors who fought so hard to defend the freedoms that we enjoy today.

Since researching Greg's family line I have come across ancestors that fought in all the major wars in our country's history. The one that really stood out in my mind was John Justice...don't you just love that name? It sounds like a super hero... and to me, he is. He fought for our country in the Revolutionary War. How thankful I am for his willingness to fight for our freedom. So many people throughout history have given their lives so that we can be free. What a humbling thought.

I also thought of a dear sister in our ward who lost her sweet husband overseas just a little over a year ago. She is left with two darling little boys. What a sacrifice she has made. What gratitude fills my heart when I think of her!

At the end of the program the children started to sing "God Bless The USA". As they were singing, the audience joined in and people began to stand one at a time. I could not even finish singing the song I was so touched. What a simple act, yet it had a significant impact on me. The principal then came to the stage and simply said "God Bless America". Now, how many principals in this country have the courage to stand and say that? It has become so politically incorrect that many are fearful to make this short statement. I am very thankful that our principal was not afraid. How grateful I am that I live in such a wonderful country and enjoy such rich freedoms. I hope it is not something that I ever take for granted.
(Emma with some of her classmates after the program...by the way she HATED the vest she had to wear. She told me she thought she looked like a clown-ha!)

3 comments:

W.C.Camp said...

Very cool idea. The kids seem very happy. Keep posting. W.C.C.

The Ullery Family said...

So fun! Hey I have a friend whose maiden name is Justice. She's from Idaho. Wonder if you are related.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.