Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Emma's Birthday Party

Yesterday Emma had her long awaited birthday party. We have a rule in our home that the kids only get a party with friends every other year. Otherwise it just gets out of control. Usually when it is the year for a friend party, we just have them pick 2-3 friends to go to the dollar movie with or swimming or some other fun activity. Well, this year I decided that it was time to go all out for Emma and give her a real party. She invited some of her friends from school and we had a great time. A couple of friends were not able to attend and that was fine! I still had my hands full. I even pulled out the cake decorating box and got to work on making her a doll cake. I had not made one since my high school years, so I was a bit concerned that it would not turn out. However, I was rather surprised. Thankfully it held together and Emma seemed to really like it.
We played lots of games, but the flour game was by far the most popular. We took a small bowl and packed flour into it. We then inverted it onto a cookie sheet and the girls took turns one by one slowly cutting away the edges of the flour with a butter knife. If the mound of flour collapsed on you while you had your turn, you had to put your face in the flour. It was a hoot! The girls had flour everywhere and all of them insisted on having a chance to dunk into the flour.
This is a picture of the whole gang at the end of the party. Emma had a really good time and thankfully next year is her turn for a "Family Party" and we will have a much calmer event :)

2 comments:

Johnson Family said...

I love your cake decorating skills. Looks like Emma had a great pary.

Kris said...

Love the cake! It doesn't look like your cake skills left. I wouldn't mind a cake like that for my birthday. You're never too old for Barbie! Hope Emma had a good day.