Sunday, October 5, 2008

Making Apple Cider

While in Oregon a few weeks ago, all of my family met at Kirk and Gina's home to make apple cider. When we were growing up we would do this each fall to sell the cider. The proceeds our family received from the sell of the cider was used to pay our ward budget each year. I recall many afternoons coming home from school and heading outside to pick up apples and make cider. Most of those days it was freezing cold and I can still remember the pain in my hands from having them in cold water cleaning off the apples. BRRRR!

When Mark and Kirk announced to Dayna and I that we were going to go down memory lane and relive this childhood memory, Dayna's comment just about summed it up for me. She had told them "You must have different memories than I do." However, I have to admit, I have yet to taste any cider that comes close to the flavor of juice fresh from an apple press. Here is how we did it...First you gather the apples. We had everything in the picture above plus some in Kirk's pickup truck. It ended up making around 20 gallons.
Next you wash off the apples. Kirk and Gina wash theirs in a kiddie pool...pretty smart.
This is another picture of washing apples. In the background you can see the press. The two wooden bins are were the apples will end up after going through the hopper.
Then you start dropping the apples into the top of the press through the hopper. This chops up the apples into about 1" pieces. They then drop below into the wooden bin.
When the bin is full, you scoot it forward and then use the crank press to start squeezing the apples. This makes the juice come out very fast.
We then let the juice drain into a bucket. (Note: You need a couple of buckets on hand because they fill up so fast). I forgot to take a picture of pouring the buckets of cider over cheese clothe to get out any unwanted pulp.

Then you pour the cider into gallon jars or milk jugs. YUMMMM! This is my niece, Lauren, sampling the cider. I have to say it is pretty darn good stuff.

2 comments:

Gina said...

You got some good photos of the cider making. I didn't take very many.

Kelsey said...

This looks like so much fun! What a great family tradition.