Thursday, August 28, 2008

Produce Coming Out of My Ears


"President Spencer W. Kimball called upon Latter-day Saints everywhere to produce their own food. For several years, he asked each family to have its own garden. He said: “We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard. Even those residing in apartments … can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden … neat and attractive as well as productive. If there are children in your home, involve them in the process with assigned responsibilities” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1976, 170–71; or Ensign, May 1976, 124).


I was reading Gina's blog about her garden and she inspired me to go outside and take some pictures of all of the produce we have just out our back door. This year we seem to have a lot more than usual and I feel like I really need to try to preserve as much of it as possible for the winter. The above picture was taken last week sometime. That was from one day of picking just as all of the vegies were starting to come on. Since then I have been up to my eyeballs in squash, green peppers, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and green beans. I have decided to freeze a good portion of it. I have found that freezing is just more economical and also preserves the flavor of the food. Now I just have to find time to get it all done!
This peach tree was planted before we purchased the house. It is actually pretty small but seems to produce quite well. I do not really like fruit, so I have a hard time knowing when the fruit is ready to be processed. This morning I took a peach over to my neighbor, Holli and had her be my test rat and taste it for me. After one bite she told me that they are simply amazing. Who knew? I have since picked all of the ripe ones and have them in the dehydrator now drying.
This is one of my favorite vegetables. It is okra and I first discovered it when we lived in Georgia many years ago. Most people here have no idea what it is or what to do with it. My favorite way to prepare it is to fry it. Not too healthy, but definitely worth it! Next year I have got to plant a lot more of this. Almost everyone in the family loves it.
We also had some grapevines already planted when we bought this house. Sadly, I have not been too good at taking care of them. They are just beginning to ripen and I have big plans this year to make grape juice from them.

In addition we have two large Golden Delicious Apple trees. These are completely loaded this year. I find myself wishing that I lived close to Kirk and his apple press to make some yummy cider just like the good ole' days :) I try not to think too much about the apple trees yet so that I do not become completely overwhelmed! I imagine that sometime in the end of September I will have to figure it out.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I am not too big into canning because I don't really care to much for the taste of canned veggies & fruits (except jam). I found a great website on freezing fruits & veggies, so I have also been freezing some of our produce to use during the winter.

The Good Gomer Family said...

We're the oddballs out this year I guess. Looking at both Kirk's and your garden, make me miss the fresh produce. Looks great!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm Okra!! So Yummy!!
Your garden is awesome! You inspire me!

Johnson Family said...

Gardens are great! Nothing quite compares to the final product sitting in your pantry. It is a lot work, but it is totally worth it.