Friday, September 25, 2009

Harvest Time!




President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) said: “With the arrival of spring we hope all of you will put in your gardens and prepare to enjoy their produce this summer. We hope you are making this a family affair, with everyone, even the little ones, assigned to something. There is so much to learn and harvest from your garden, far more than just a crop itself”

I love my garden! This year we had a rather successful one and I am still busy canning and freezing much of the produce. We planted pumpkins, corn, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, radishes, carrots, tomatoes (LOTS of tomatoes...24 plants to be exact), green and red peppers, jalapenos, black eyed peas, crook necked squash, zucchinni, spagetti squash, green beans and both red and golden potatoes-whew! I decided this year to freeze a good portion of our crop because of the ease of the process...SO much easier than canning. I still have apples and grapes to deal with, but I will think of that another day :) How grateful we are for all the Lord has provided for our family.

2 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Isn't freezing the way to go. I have done my apples, now I have grapes and pears left to do. Good Luck with your canning.

Unknown said...

Way to go! I did not have a garden this year, but have been lucky enough to enjoy the fruits of my sister in-laws garden. We bottled salsa and tomatoes. I could not believe how easy it was to bottle tomatoes!!